“Hillside Food Outreach is working to end hunger among our most vulnerable neighbors in Westchester, Putnam and Fairfield Counties. Hillside Volunteers home deliver healthy and nutritious foods to over 2,000 men, woman and children, low income people who, for a variety of reasons, are unable to access local pantries. We serve the elderly who must choose between medicine and food…families who are struggling to make ends meet and also feed their children and those with health issues who need better nutrition and healthier food.”
- Deliver food on a monthly basis to housebound people living at or below the poverty level in Putnam and Westchester Counties (NY) and Western Connecticut
At present, we deliver to over 2,000 individuals each month.
- Create monthly food bags containing wholesome and appealing foods (i.e., fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, whole grains, and other staples) for all HFO clients.
- Accommodate the needs of clients with nutrition-influenced illnesses (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, gluten allergies, obesity, etc.) with the delivery of special food bags and educational materials.
- Maintain a strong and consistent body of volunteers to deliver groceries and to spend quality time with housebound clientele.
- Train HFO volunteers to pay special attention to the nutritional, medical, and emotional needs of their clients, as well as to take note of any indications of danger or abuse.
- Promote community engagement with youth as they participate in monthly “Pack Nights” at our warehouse.